Mixit Print Studio
Mixit Print Studio is an open access professional printmaking studio owned and operated by Catherine Kernan, Jane Goldman, and Randy Garber. Although privately owned, the studio fosters a supportive and interactive community of printmakers/artists.
Founded in 1987, Mixit Print Studio occupies 1800 square feet on the ground floor of Mixit Studios Cooperative, an artist-owned live/work building, formerly the factory for Mixit Hand Soap.
Over the years Mixit Print Studio has sponsored many group exhibitions, produced several portfolios of prints, now in important collections, and published or co-published two substantial books about the studio to accompany exhibitions. We have mentored a number of young artists, and we offer workshops on a range of printmaking topics.
The studio is fully equipped for making and printing large-scale intaglio, monotype, monoprint, relief, and photo-intaglio plates.
Features that make Mixit Print Studio one of the premier printmaking studios in the Boston area include:
- Our convenient location to public transportation
- A limit on the number of artists using the studio at any one time
- Intelligently and flexibly organized space
- An emphasis on safer and sustainable printmaking processes
- Quality equipment that can accommodate large plates
- A vibrant and supportive community of artists / printmakers
- Participation in exhibitions, portfolios, and Somerville Open Studios
- Generous sharing of technical information and feedback on work
- Opportunity to participate in workshops given at Mixit
Mixit Print Studio was featured on a recent edition of Somerville News. Watch the video!